Monday, October 31, 2011

DIY Love

So I have been dying to share with you the outcome of my VERY FIRST DIY project!

I was on the hunt for a sideboard or buffet to add some additional storage in our kitchen/dining/living space; I was able to find what I was after for a great deal on Kijiji.  It needed TLC, but I was up for the challenge!

My very first DIY in all her glory!
OK, so it doesn't look like much; and it needed way more work than I initially thought, the door on the right didn't close properly and the drawer was off the track and a little sticky.  In fact, I thought that I got ahead of myself in the 'DIY World' when I first started but it didn't take me long to realize I LOVE this world and want to be in it.

I started by stripping off all the broken pieces and then sanding down the whole thing twice OK three times.  From there I hit up Google to read about repainting furniture only to learn that there is a special kind of paint that I would need to use.  Off to Home Depot I went in search of cabinet paint (it's just a little more resilient to the wear and tear that furniture is typically accustomed too).  I brought home the paint chips to try and match to our already existing kitchen cabinets and then I was off to the races.

After a coat of primer, and 3 coats of white paint my cabinet was starting to take shape.  I added a fresh piece of panelling to the back (you can't tell in the picture, but it is there) and some new modern hardware.  I fixed the track for the drawer and added a new piece so that the door would close properly.  Newly acquired husband helped me move it inside and voilĂ ! instant storage.

not bad for my first DIY!
I'm quite proud and learned A LOT for the next time I tackle a DIY :)

I apologize for the lack of pictures, when I worked on this I wasn't planning on posting it for all to see.  I promise to get better at the picture taking thing for future projects.

Total Cost: $75!!!
- cabinet: $45 from Kijiji
- Primer: leftovers from a previous paint job
- White Cabinet Paint: $20 (Home Depot)
- Hardware: $10 (Home Depot)

Up next, a dresser!


1 comment:

  1. Nice! We are thinking of doing the same with our bedroom furniture right now...need more time :)

    ReplyDelete