I like to think that I am a well seasoned traveller - business traveller that is; and as such I'd like to pass along some of my tips and tricks to you! I'll be doing a short post each week...on Tuesdays ;)
It's a personal goal of mine to at least attempt to travel without checking luggage; not always attainable but I certainly give it my best! To me, it is a form of art to be able to travel light and you wouldn't believe the time it will save you once you are at the airport!
If you are not one of the blessed and lucky ones that can achieve this goal I have listed what I think are "essentials" for your carry-on. They will make your travel smooth and hassle free – all while keeping your carry-on within the restricted weight limit ;)
My Top 10
1. Passport and ID: You can't go anywhere without your passport - treat this as your most prized possession while on the road. Likewise, if you have a VISA to enter a country you will want to keep this with you.
2. Money: I like to keep my money where I can see it; in my pocket!
3. Itinerary and Tickets: I usually put everything into my trusty BlackBerry so I have it handy, but I also like to keep a hard copy on me just in case. You will need this information for filling out customs forms etc
4. Valuables: Keep your expensive jewelry with you (or leave it at home); if you
costume jewelry like I do and wear it every day, toss this into your checked
luggage. Keep your camera with you; you just never know when you may want
to capture the moment.
5. Toiletries: I like to keep my toothbrush and toothpaste handy (especially for longer or over night flights); I also carry my contact lens solution and make-up remover wipes to freshen up (airplane air isn't exactly skin friendly). Be sure that any liquids you pack are under 100ml and they all fit into one small clear plastic bag or they'll snag it at security.
6. Medications: Travel can be so unpredictable so it's good to have these on you in the event you need to take them while en route. It's always good to have a copy of your prescription or a Dr's note too – security could be having a bad day and decide to take it out on you J
7. Music and Headphones: I like to travel with the noise cancelling headphones myself. You can thank me when you are sitting beside someone that snores or have a crying baby nearby.
8. Change of Clothes: Depending on the length of your trip you may want to throw in a quick change of clothes in so you can feel refreshed at touchdown. I like to add my bikini when heading somewhere warm - I figure if I have this and my toothbrush I am set for the week should my luggage get lost.
9. Hand Sanitizer: You are trapped inside of an airplane with 300 other people for x number of hours...do you know the number of germs you will come in contact with? Certainly not the cleanest space. I keep my travel size hand sanitizer within arm’s reach and you should too!
10: Laptop: *sigh*
All of these items are light weight and easy to fit into any carry-on. Just remember anything you bring you have to carry (it says so in the name) J
Travel safe and travel lightly friends!